Monday, June 13, 2016

My heart hurts for Orlando, my hometown.
Yesterday’s horror took place 10 miles from where I grew up, on a stretch of road where I spent many nights in my teens and 20s, feeling carefree and happy and connected with my community. One person armed with hatred, prejudice, and an evil machine invaded a place of love and acceptance and destroyed dozens of lives, hundreds of families. I am bewildered and sad and very angry but I am also filled with hope that laws will change, lives will be saved, people will learn to hate less and love more. My heart is lifted in seeing the community come together in solidarity to donate blood, hold vigils, and struggle to change gun laws and lessen anti-LGBTQ bigotry to help prevent yet another senseless, preventable, horrific tragedy like this one.
You have my heart, Orlando.


No comments: